So I have a new homepage at hewner.com. I’ve been thinking for a while that I ought to have a page with my various research, teaching, and programming stuff that I would be comfortable pointing folks to, so I’ve upgraded the old buffaloblog into your one-stop Mike info-porium.
One of the consequences of this is a new url for my blog (hewner.com/blog for the blog and hewner.com/feed for the RSS)…but if you’re reading this through your feed reader then all the redirecting worked as I intended it. One thing I did discover in this process is that WordPress supports category specific feeds – so if you’d rather never again hear me wax philosophical about my attempt teach P/NP to cats you can find the right feed for you.
I’ve had a lot of fun playing with WordPress in the past few days; WP strikes a nice balance between giving you the configuration features you need and letting you have at the code when that needs to be done. The plugins I ended up using are:
- Akismet and Bad Behavior – Avoid blog spam
- List Category Posts – Lets me put blog post summaries on the Teaching and Programming pages
- Excluding Pages from Navigation – Lets me have extra pages that don’t appear in the navigation. I really don’t know why this feature doesn’t exist by default.
- Online Backup for WordPress – Backup WordPress DB
- Syntax Highlighter Evolved – For code snippets
- Twitter for WordPress – Twitter feed on the side
- This post helped me set up the old buffaloblog urls to redirect to the new hewner.com urls
Anyways, feel free to check out the new homepage and let me know what you think.